Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Farewell to the M.O.W.

Yes, as of this Monday we stopped taking the Meals on Wheels meal that we were receiving every week day since February. Will we resume our subscription? Yes, if I am ill and cannot cook. 

I do get hungry. But Theo ended up eating most of the meals because he gets hungry too, and he wants a meal lots of times when I am happy with a salad, a small sandwich, or some other light offering.
Now I can review the meals as a whole, from afar, and I say the grade I give them as meals is about 2 out of 5.  As meals.  They are not delicious; the vegetables are all undercooked;  the flavors are predictable and not all pleasant. 
Particularly bad are the 'smoked' or 'barbeque' flavorings.  I have never been a devotee of smoke flavoring as it's supposed to be so toxic, but there it is in the sauce and also in the pork 'meat' that comprises the 'riblets',  yes, those very same riblets that are so reviled in the health food articles against McDonald's riblets.  What are they? We may not want to know.
The 'Mexican' flavorings are also bad.  They have that alien spice taste that I just hate in false Mexican food (like taco seasoning).  What on earth is that stuff? Again, I do not want to know.
The Italian tastes are better...a pleasant tomato sauce graces most of the pasta dishes and I can eat it.  There is very little taste of garlic but that may be by popular Anglo Saxon demand.(Shortly to change as the population has changed big time.)
And the short cooked vegetables are awful. They are terribly hard.  Hard is tasteless.  The lima beans which appear frequently as an addendum to corn (which is on practically every menu) are as hard as bullets.  Some people hate the mealy texture of lima beans but it can't be made any better by not cooking them through.  And rather watery mashed potatoes began appearing lately and they weren't good either.     Spinach and greens, being undercooked, were better.  Carrots--more pellets.
     I ran out of room so had to edit this to eliminate spaces.  Censored! and by the M.O.W! YAZZYBEL

No comments:

Post a Comment