Sunday, February 3, 2013

Silent Prayer? --or White Noise?

Some Sundays, you go into church, sink down onto your knees, and--draw a blank.

It's true. Sometimes I just kneel there in the chill gloom of an early Sunday morning, and I can't think of a thing.  Nada.

That's why standardized, written out prayers are good.  Sometimes spontaneity just doesn't work. I think it's because, unthought-of  by us, our brains in this modern world are often so full of junk-images, junk-thoughts, and other distractions: have to's and forgot to's and don't want to's....that we are incapable of forming even a simple few words into a prayer, no matter how much we need to.

But then we can't even remember our simple prayers. The only one that ever springs to mind for me is:
      Good bread!  Good meat!

      Good God!    Let's eat!

And that is not appropriate or useful at ten of eight on Sunday morning either.  The Lord's Prayer should come to mind, but for the life of me I can't get it started at that point.

So here's what I prayed today:

Dear Lord, please forgive me for letting my mind and life to become so clogged up with trivia that I can't even think what I needed to pray for.  I am sorry that I can't think of a suitable prayer for this morning.  I can't even stop to reflect or meditate at this point because my mind will just fill up again with rusty nothingness and we can't call that praying. (At this point I sometimes can remember Jimmy Swaggart's injunction  as to what God wants of us...{1} He wants us to thank Him, and {2}He wants us to praise and bless His holy Name. )  So I tack on those two thoughts, say Amen, and sit back to read my bulletin until the clergy some processing in.  
Today was Candlemas, a special blessing of the children day.  Candelario, en espanol.  And, says the church bulletin, Candlemas marks the mid-point between the winter solstice and the spring equinox; and in the days of agriculture as a way of life for most everybody, it was a very special time because it meant that planting time would be coming up.  Get out those seed catalogs and celebrate Candlemas, everybody!!! Amen. YAZZYBEL

No comments:

Post a Comment