Sunday, September 28, 2014

A Vacation at the End of the Known World

The I Ching makes us aware that our lives are really made up of constant changes. Tension builds up and things tip over and re-start constantly. Sometimes this happens almost unnoticeably, and sometimes it is sudden and precipitate.

When my husband died, my life turned over in a normal way. It's to be expected. Often, what is not expected is the completeness of the turn. Like a roto-filer, a device that used to be in all offices and held the names of clients, let's say, and could be turned by hand so that the cards came up and flipped over, our days after such a huge event can seem to be flipping over without much impact. But the impact was there, and made itself known again and again.  

I went on a vacation to my old old world, the world of my childhood and girlhood. Cards that seemed in the past to be flipping over in a fairly orderly way gave a big THUMP, and suddenly came to a stop. Things that come to a stop unexpectedly have the effect of making one pay attention.  

When the wheel stops, a movement of the hand will make it start up again, or the very momentum of time will restart it.  But things are not the same. A new life has begun; a new life begins every day actually but we often do not pay attention to that fact.  A jolt makes us see with new eyes; we restructure; we reprioritize.  This is good for us. But it hurts.

So, this is the end of Breakfast With Yazzybel. She will or will not breakfast again, but she will not be back under this chatty format.  Time to see with new eyes. Yes, it is. I was ending this blog post with the last paragraph but I realized that that was not all I had to say. Thanks for reading with me so far.    YAZZYBEL

No comments:

Post a Comment