Saturday, April 6, 2013

A Poem a Day for April

I'm almost a week late with this, but why don't we write a poem a day, for every day in April?

April is National Poetry Month, so it is appropriate to start writing a poem a day this month. A poem can be as few as four lines long, and can be anything from rhymed verse to doggerel to blank (metered, unrhyming) to free (unmetered, unrhyming) verse.  Want to try it?

I tried it a couple of years ago for a time. I didn't get in a whole year's worth, but I wrote a lot more than I am writing now.

Shall we try it? I am sitting here without an idea in my head, as probably you are too.  But I'll write a poem on this page before I leave it.  And I hear my husband getting out of bed, and that is a double whammy for creativity.
Here he is. Shall I postpone? No, let's soldier on.

Another rule I had for a time, regarding poetry writing, was--no first person.  That eliminates lots of boo hoo hoo thinking.  Write about something else for goodness' sake.  I think I'll write today about rain as that has been my theme since Apr. 1st.

When the parched earth
And the parched soul
Long for water,
Blessed be the showers
That fall from the source
Of blessing.

Okay, that is terrible, but it is a start. I am having interfering thoughts of bacon and eggs which I need to go fix. I may go back to that poem later and work on it. On the otherhand, poor though it is, I hardly can think of a way to improve (save) it.  I guess that is my poem for today.  You write one too. Get a composition book, or make a page on your computer and start putting them down.  In a few weeks, you'll be amazed.

I am going to come back later and copy down a poem that I wrote a couple years ago after days of writing a poem a day.  YAZZYBEL

No comments:

Post a Comment