Wednesday, April 10, 2013

When My Sisters Went to Italy

I have been reading through old writings...interesting to read one's past...sad, sometimes. But I found a wonderful list sent by sister no. 5, when she and 4 went to Italy.
A list of the things she loved in Europe. It's so full of good things that it is practically a poem in itself.Let's see if we can play with it and make it be a poem.  There are twenty things in the list, too many, but yet not enough perhaps. Here is the list as no. 5 wrote it for me:

What Bandita Loved in Europe

1. Flying over the Alps from Brussels to Florence.
2. Freedom in the Italians' day (built into their day).
3. Happy noises in the piazzas
4.  Cell phones rule.
5.  Street merchants
6.  Even the maids are happy.
7.  Steamy hot water in the bathroom--it was a surprise.
8.  Marble carved as though it were real folds of skin--soft.
9.  Sister sleeping.
10.  Running with sister to the bus in Sienna-=we had no ticket nor did we know where the bus was going but we got on.
11. My breakfast bunch (sister never met them, as she slept in every a.m.) called her "Sleeping Beauty," and teased me that she didnt even exist.
12. No DAVID.
13.Lines and lines of serious looking Orientals
14.  The "HADJ" at the Brussels airport.
15. Sister's suitcase prolems.
16. Sister's Lira making machine in her purse.
17. Cellophane, colored foil wrapped bunnies and eggs, flowers--layers and layers of beautiful things.
18.  Found our way home by recognizing jewelry in shop windows.
19. Bored students at museum field trips
20. Electric cars--old women on bicycles and motorcycles.
21.  Nowhere to buy scotch tape and other mundane things.
22.shutters
23.cypress trees
24. Women in flea markets bitches (merchants) men merchants kind.
25. Colors of bldgs==colors in frescoes--patterns simple but very detailed
26.  Our closet filled with black
27. Eat, shop, walk, museums
28. vaulted ceilings
29. Siena!! the best
30. Sister shopping from duty free shop on plane
31. Brussels--statues very military, order, clean, beautiful.
32. Italy--restoration going on everywhere.

I can't make a better poem of it than that! It's too good, too full of feeling and images. I don't think I'll try. 

I wrote a bunch of haikus when they went, on the topic of wooly underwear which I told them they'd want (March, after all) and they would not take. It was in looking for them that I found this list. If I find them, I'll put in a couple of them tomorrow, as I think they are funny.  But I think this list is wonderful.  An Italian trip in a nutshell. YAZZYBEL

No comments:

Post a Comment