Wednesday, May 15, 2013

One, Toast with Butter is Delicious, and, Two, there are Too Many Chickens, or are they Chickens?

Good morning.

I am eating breakfast and my mind is running upon thoughts of food.

I am regretting toast with butter, which I no longer indulge in because of my pore little old artery attack, but--toast with jelly is good too and I do allow myself that though not with dilly bread as I had this morning.

I wake up hungry, which is a good sign. If you are consistently not hungry when you wake up in the morning, check your blood sugar.  I've never eaten habitually after dinner, and the 'bedtime snack' is anathema.

Having said that, I remember some wonderful after theater Dutch apple pie with ice cream that we used to eat in Dallas after going to the summer outdoor theaters...how wonderful that pie was, especially with good Texas vanilla ice cream on top. I'm thankful I indulged in that when I was twenty or twenty-one years of age, when my body could take it!!

And I have been thinking of the wonderful fried chicken restaurant in Waco, Texas, in the early fifties.  Everyone went there after church for their Sunday dinner.  That chicken was just scrumptious.  And fried, fried, fried, glistening with richness there on the plate. (I was thinking of those dinners the other day upon eating a hard, greasy piece of supermarket fried chicken. Sigh!) And yes, I pull off the skin now, deed I do. Good girl~!!

That restaurant had one of the best banana pies I've ever eaten (though I didnt manage to get banana pie into the title up there.) It was made with a flaky baked crust, cooled and filled with sliced perfect bananas, a sprinkle or two of sugar, and whipped cream on top and served chilled.  Oh, how good it was!

But back to the chicken--remember when I wrote about Too Many Lobsters not long ago?  There are way way WAY too many chickens and especially chicken breasts out there on the market. Chicken breasts are rumoured to be pieces of CLONE, in the subterranean world in which I exist.  Clone, I tell you, manufactured meat!  Even if they are not, the number of slaughtered chickens required to put out the number of pieces of chicken meat out there on the supermarket shelves is ASTRONOMICAL.
There is astronomical suffering involved.  It just ain't right, I tell you.

Vegan is the only way.  A piece of fish stolen from the cold pristine waters of Scandinavia cannot always be amiss, but really, can't we see that, unless we grew it in our back yard and did it in ourselves, chicken as an American food just has to go? It's just too much.  YAZZYBEL

1 comment: