Saturday, May 24, 2014

don't fall down

How often do we senior citizens hear those words!

We hear them and quail inside because we know all too well that we have heard an injunction with which it's beyond our power to comply, endeavor as we may.

Nobody falls thinking about it, until in the split second as we are falling, we may think, This time i am falling. Then we hit and with a bang, and think , "This time it is serious."

I fell in my garage at 2:30 in the garage on May 16.
I was alone and really hit hard flying through the air headfirst into the pantry shelves.  I felt my head and felt a wound and lots of blood. I immediately realized that my left wrist was broken and that I had to get into the house and the phone, so I inch-wormed my way up the steps, flipped onto my back and pushed into the living room in pools of blood, to the phone. I pulled the cord, phone fell down, called 911 and within 5 minutes was in the hands of the most capable very young First Responders you could want. 
     They sent me to UCSD Trauma Center for an evening of patchwork.  Thank God that I did not get worse injured, that I did not lose consciousness, that the phone was on its hook as it almost never is---and for the wonderful young lifesavers. Since then, with wonderful neighbors, friends, and nurses, i have been eking along okay.  What an ordeal. Thank God.  YAZZYBEL

No comments:

Post a Comment