Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Hot Pink Cauliflower

Good evening. (Some breakfast, eh?)

Tonight we ate a delicious dish of cauliflower. I am telling you exactly how I cooked it because I don't want you to go through life thinking that you have to mind the letter of the law at the stove.

I had a huge head of cauliflower which was destined for the garbage can as we are tearing out and throwing away prior to having our kitchen re-done.  We are down to Last Things...the refrigerator goes to the Salvation Army day after tomorrow, and we will spend tomorrow cleaning it up.  "How clean enough does it have to be?" I asked the girl taking the order to pick it up.

"Well,--clean enough to put on display," she said. I was hoping that some of the people who are there working and volunteering could do the final polishing up. Well, we'll do our best and if the driver declines to take it, we'll be mad.

Anyway, back to the cauliflower. It was a huge snowy white thing, and I took half of it and cut off huge white flowerets.  I took a large red bell pepper, and cut its flesh into large squares, about an inch square. Then I parboiled the two together for a time. Then I poured off most of the water and added a chunk of butter. 

As that melted, I stirred in quickly about a tablespoon of flour and some salt.  Then I turned it all off while I fixed some steak for Theodore. Then I turned it back on, and as it did its final cooking and got a little thick, I added some chunks of hot pepper cheese from a Kraft long cube of good cheese meant to be served with crackers.  The cheese melted, and enriched the sauce.

The cauliflower never did turn as pink as I thought it would due to the peppers, but it was a tasty vegetable dish. I had my half with a chicken sandwich provided by the Meals on Wheels.  All very good, very good. Though Theo said the steak was tough. Too bad.  YAZZYBEL

No comments:

Post a Comment