Tuesday, January 15, 2013

What to Do Whle Cooking Breakfast

Good morning! (for once)

This morning as I prepared to cook my husband's breakfast, I sliced and consumed the insides of a delicious large navel orange.  The way I prepare oranges for quick and easy consumption is: to slice the orange horizontally and then cut the slices in half.  The pulp comes out easily as you eat each one, and you have a holder ready made in your hand.

Then you are left with a number of semicircles of orange peel.  If you are doing a proper job, you'll toss these into a pan of boiling water three times, like a charm, to take away the bitterness. But I decided to live with the bitterness and just start the real process.  As the bacon was a-frying in the pan, I got a saucepan and put in a couple of handfuls of white sugar and a dash of water, and put this on to boil.  Which it shortly did, and produced a clear syrup.  The orange peel bits, and the trimmings thereof, went into the syrup and boiled away for a bit as I slowly turned the bacon over and over to brown it perfectly. I also ran over with a platter and put some more sugar on the platter and when I thought the orange peels had boiled enough I took them out with a spatula and put them onto the sugar, turning them over and over as they cooled.

What's left after that? Well, you'll have a little syrup left from the peels; can't waste that.  I laid out some pecan pieces or halves earlier, and tossed those into the syrup with a tiny (pat-sized) piece of butter, boiled again, and turned them out into the sugar left over from the candied orange peels which were by now reposing on another plate...Toss the pecans and you have a fabulous batch of pecans and you have wasted NOTHING. Not a scrap of the orange was wasted (but the navel itself; it seemed indelicate to eat it.). Not a scrap of sugar or syrup or pecan. All good. All will be consumed in its own good time. I am convinced that the orange peels, even though candied, must have some nutrition in them. And some pectin. That's very good for us. So that the oranges and the pecans and the bacon all got done at the same time, and then I washed out the skillet and scrambled up the eggs and put the syrup saucepan into the sink to soak.  Now to go and put up the orange peels and the nuts. (Separately.)

And I shaved my husband this morning, before preparing and giving him his food.  It was fun, and he needed it as he's been skipping more and more whiskers lately. I can see why barbers are so happy: they get results every time!!!  YAZZYBEL

No comments:

Post a Comment