Friday, March 1, 2013

Serendipity

Good morning...long time no see!!!

Today I'll write about cooking without fat.  It's a difficult problem in our culture, the whole idea of non-fat cookery.  I myself have always been a believer of the criminality of starch, not fat...but I know in my little heart that the flaw is in the combination of the two.

And since I like to eat, I am trying to eat without fat as much as possible.  What to eat out? Shrimp cocktail, my dears!  Whether Mexican or American style, you get a number of plump cold boiled shrimp and a tomato-based sauce without any fat.  A couple of soda crackers on the side are not without the scope of the plan.  And, yum yum.

Looking at Drivein's, Diners and Dives, I positively get kind of nauseated looking at the tons, the absolute piles and mountains of fat meats smothered in fat cheeses that the   folks are wolfing down.  It isnt belated virtue, either.  You know I've always told you not to mix meat and cheese!!

Nowadays I hardly eat any cheese at all.  I never was a maniac for it, except for the once in a while that I enjoyed a nice little cheese sandwich.  Handy for tucking into the purse or bag for a plane flight, or a bunch of them for a car ride.  But though one can buy a 'mayonnaise' without fat,  fat-free cheese is a joke.  It just isnt good, melted or otherwise. And low fat is iffy.  Good as one individual item, it can turn on you if you end up with too many "low fat" items and don't add them up.

At the Goodwill, I found the most wonderful cookbook.  Most "low fat" cookbooks are compilations of the same old ideas, heavy on the sugar, low on the fat and mostly low on the flavors.  The wonderful cookbook I found is called
The Low Fat Cookbook, by Sue Kreitzman.  It's one of those beautiful over-illustrated books from the English publishers...trillions of mouthwatering photographs that make even a few grains of salt in a dish look good.

And this book has much more than just photos.  Sue Kreitzman has wonderful ideas for flavorful, low fat dishes of all sorts.  And here is a great idea that I'm going to try immediately.

"Oil-Water Spray"

Get a small sprayer or mister and make a mixture of 1/8 oil (olive, walnut, sunflower, sesame) to 7/8 water.  Shake and spray.

That's it.  A simple tip that enables us NOT to be buying those cans of spray oil that have evil canola and evil soy in them.  Let's try it.

I'll be referring back to this beautiful cookbook as I try out its very creative approach to cookery.  How could I have bought this book at a store or at Amazon?  I didnt even know that it existed.  But now you know too and can look for one online.  It is worth it even if you just look at the pictures. I, however, could only have stumbled upon it at the Goodwill, which I did. Serendipity, baby, serendipity.  It's all around us.....YAZZYBEL

No comments:

Post a Comment