Sunday, March 24, 2013

Voyage Autour de ma Chambre

A voyage around my room....hmmm.

I remember when I thought that book/story was written by Proust and a very serious French-Canadian finally convinced me that I was wrong. I don't remember who is was...I could look it up on the web...(Xavier de Maistre)..but it was a good essay with a good idea.

If we all sat and made a voyage around our room more often we might pick up on our treasures, our trash, our cobwebs...more mindfully. Okay, I'll do it.

I 'll do my (our) bedroom, because that is really "my room" if anything is...
Starting with me in the bed, awake and restless to be up as I always am if awake.  I am surrounded by radios,books, hearing devices, phones, and the TV zapper, but I have been sleeping quite comfortably.  When I wasnt sleeping in the middle of the night I was listening to Coast to Coast talking about nuclear disasters to come.

Next to the bed on my side is a little Bodart dresser, full of stuff that I am gradually weeding out. I cannot part with my old Weight Watchers booklets; they're often an inspiration and insight. Old medications, hairbobs, and dustballs recently got relegated to the trash.

There are books in there. I'd better keep them there for I'll never find them if I move them.  My mother's cookbook.
How to grow your own opium. A few others.

Above the dresser hang religious icons, Mexican silver on black...beautiful. A Black Madonna on tin which I bought at an antique show, thinking it was Mexican.  But the more I've looked at it over the years I can see that it's Eastern in its art....she's still beautiful and now I think she's from the Filipines, perhaps, where there was a Catholic culture.  Think how the East, the Filipines, Viet Nam, all the rest...have been culled for art over the last twenty to fifty years....anyway, she's mine and I love her.

Well, I've only moved four feet around the room so far.  And am writ out.  Perhaps the voyage will be resumed at some other time..... Perhaps not.....

YAZZYBEL

No comments:

Post a Comment