Saturday, September 7, 2013

And the Little Ones Chewed On---What?

You've all heard about the fox, who went out on a summer's night....he brought back a big fat chicken, and,

"You never saw such a supper in your life,

And the little ones chewed on the bones-oh!!"

Now KFC is serving all its chicken products boneless, I hear.  Why, I don't know.

And I went to the store to get me some soup bones or some tough meat with a bone on it, and no such thing could be had. This is a big supermarket here in Chula Vista. When I complained about it at the register, you'd think I'd dropped into a zombie's coven:  dull, uncomprehending expressions and no response from one and all.  Am I the one who's crazy?  WE NEED BONES.  BEEF BONES, especially.  There were no bones to be had in the meat dept., and the butcher told me when I complained back there that "all our meat" comes to them boneless. 

What 's being done with all those bones? Someone discovered a value to bones and so the bones are all sequestered, sold off to vitamin companies, pet food companies, who knows where.  The lowly public hardly gets one any more unless it's willing to buy a T-bone.  Let me tell you a tip: If you do get some T-bones, save those bones in the freezer after you've chewed all the meat off of them. They are valuable, and rare.

My husband didn't like bones.  I always have liked to chew on bones...I am like Harriet, wife of a co-worker of my husband's once, who...(we were at a company dinner)..noticing that the prime rib was being carved and served off the bone, whispered in the waiter's ear.  Shortly, a huge platter of bones arrived and she dug in, gnawing away.  I 'm with her.

I wanted the bones to make good Russian borscht, which I had at Elijah's  last Sunday.  It cured me of my malaise when nothing else has.  Here's how I made it with what I had around the house.

Russian Borscht

can of chicken stock, can of water
leftover beef of the boneless stir-fry type
onions cut up

Put that on the stove and cook it on low for quite a while.  After a time add:

cut up cabbage
cut up carrots
leftover boiled potato or cubed potato
can of beets and juice, cubed

Let that all simmer until you are hungry.  I took out three fourths of it just now, to put into the refrigerator.  I will have the other fourth for supper.  "On a hot day like this?" I hear the chorus of cries.  Yes, on a hot day like this, Russian Borscht will be just fine.  It would 've been even finer with BONES...

YAZZYBEL

No comments:

Post a Comment