Sunday, January 12, 2014

Something Bad and Something Good

Good morning.

Yesterday I had the yearning to make some brownies...but since I had no regular wheat flour (thanks to my anti-Gluten conversion), I decided to use Bob's Red Mill biscuit mix instead. Now biscuit mix, as in Bisquick, makes a perfectly good substitute for flour in a recipe where you don't use a lot of regular flour anyway...as my recipe which calls for a half-cup flour.

Anyway--I made the dough, but that stuff never made it to the oven because I took a bite and it smelled and tasted TERRIBLE. Probably because Bob's Red Mill uses garbanzos in the flour along with rice...and there is just something in garbanzos that doesnt mix with brownie fantasies, in my opinion. I dumped the entire batch of dough away.

So today after church I decided to start over because I was still craving brownies. I had to use cocoa because I  didnt have any chocolate, but have done that before so I know it's fine.  I used less butter than the recipe says (it says 1/2 c.; I used 3/4 of 1/2 c.)...I would have used all the butter but the ghost of my mother rose up inside me and reminded me, "Your heart!!"

I didn't have the flour but remembered some Bob's Red Mill coconut flour I bought and have not used, so I used that.  There is only 1/2 cup flour in the recipe so I added just a little to make sure the cookies would hold together.

I spread my brownies out on a baking tin because I like them that way...a bit thinner than from an 8x8 pan...and I baked them for only a short time...till they were browning at the very edges..and I just had some with a glass of cold real milk from a cow (I hope)...and they were just delicious. A nice pre-lunch snack!!!  So..just shows: don't give up hope, try something else, and it'll turn out very well. If you're lucky!!!  YAZZYBEL

No comments:

Post a Comment