Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Time Still Goes By

Qu'el fou!  I have not been writing. Not because I had nothing to say...but because when I tried to log in I'd forgotten my password.

And my book of passwords is lost. Of course it is.

So today, I drew a blank again, but a few seconds later I drew again and came up with the password. It was the right one! Right now I do not remember what I wrote and I did not put it down, so this may be the last you see from little old Yazzybel as I retire into the convent of nitwits.

Have been reading a lot about something called excitotoxins, things that we eat and put into our bodies which over stimulate our pleasure centers in the brain and cause them to burn out, thus causing us to develop Alzheimer's, Parkinson's, or any number of other awful conditions.  The main culprit is MSG which apparently can be put into food under many guises nowadays, causing our brain receptors to get over excited and crave more more more of the bad stuff before it shuts down the master board.

There are so many different guises under which this MSG-type stimulant appears. One of the main ones is aspartame.  Another one is hydrolyzed vegetable (soy or wheat or whatever) protein.  There are others. Supposedly all quick-fix foods have these bad molecules in them, put in deliberately by the bad guys who want to make lots of money and see us go down to obesity, ADHD, Parkinson's, Alzheimers, ALS, and any number of other nightmarish conditions.

The answer? Dont eat any more pre-packaged or pre-prepared foods. No mixes. No handy boxes of sauce. Get out your 1936 cookbook and roll up your sleeves. If you want chicken buy some chicken, not fake chicken patties made of soy granules. If you cannot afford to eat fresh meat, just eat vegetables then. You'll be the healthier for it.

Sounds depressing? Don't be depressed except for the future of the children of this country, and that is plenty for us to worry about.  We older folk will do just fine eating out of the 1936 cookbook if we are careful of what we buy, utilize the Organic section of produce, and even make our own ice cream and catsup. Don't worry, cream, sugar and strawberries, mooshed and frozen in a tin bread pan, taste absolutely delicious and we'll never miss the Haagen-Daz. 

For lunch today I am making something I've never made before: bocoles. Bocoles are an ancient Mexican dish made of masa mixed with refried beans ( I gotta read the label on those refried beans because who knows what La Rosita put in them)..you put in a little salt and a little baking powder, make tiny gorditas, and grill them, topping them with queso fresco, hot sauce, tomatoes, chopped cabbage or lettuce...they are about 2 inches across and they will be delicious. And if I knew exactly what excito-flavorings were put into those frijoles before they canned them, I'd feel absolutely secure about my lunch. Next time, frijoles from scratch!!!   YAZZYBEL

No comments:

Post a Comment