Sunday, July 7, 2013

A Good Year for Roses!!!!

 
California roses are the best!! They are like weeds, in a way.  They never get a really dormancy of winter, so you have to give them an artificial vacation from time to time, letting them straggle a bit--then cut them back, fertilize, water like heck, and they just bloom like crazy.  This has been a lovely summer of roses after a very un-prepossessing spring.  I have yellow, white, and pink (LOTS of pink) roses in front.  I love the pastel colors the best.  In the back there's a crimson climber put in by my husband years ago, and it responds the same way to neglect/cut/fertilize/water.  It puts out bouquets of lovely red velvet flowers.
 
I love roses; can't understand people who do not like them.  Our roses, possibly because of my gypsy gardening methods, are never the same twice.  One bloom will be a huge crape-paper cabbage rose, and its neighbor will look like a wild rose only bigger and more ruffly.  Don't know why.  Each one is beautiful. I left all these on the bush because they do last longer that way, and it's such a pleasure to see them when we drive into the driveway!  YAZZYBEL

1 comment:

  1. I happen to love Roses and from what I can see, that is one big Rose! I have a Pinterest board devoted to Roses because June is national Rose Month. Last year he International Herb Society chose the rose as Herb of the year!

    Thanks for sharing your California Roses with us...

    ReplyDelete