Wednesday, March 12, 2014

A Danger Averted

Wow. What a narrow escape!

I just returned from the CV Pound...er, Animal Shelter...empty-handed.

My friend Lee has just adopted a dog at the urging of her kids...she went to a shelter to view the desired animal, and fell in love with the wrong pooch. That's the way it is for dogs, poor fellows that they are. It's the luck of the draw.

So, I overcame my better nature and went to the CV Animal Shelter yesterday afternoon.  It was not an entirely fruitless endeavor because it enabled me to see that I can be totally hard-hearted where these poor creatures are concerned, and concentrate on my own needs and capabilities with remarkable aplomb.

Rule 1: no puppy, because Foxy Angus taught me that I do not pass the Agility Rule for Capturing Wayward Pups.
Rule 2: no barkers. This elimnates practically everybody right there.
Rule 3: no males, because they lift the surreptitious leg here and there even when supposedly trained.
They also are somewhat more likely to bark.
Rule 4: nothing big, because they can pull the pore old Yazzybel and make her fall down and break something.

It has to be something small and female that isnt likely to shed too much hair and can justifiably answer to the name of Lady. Actually I found Lady yesterday, but her name was Belle...and she was a trifle large for a chihuahua...and she didnt really pull me into wanting her. But I thought about her in the night and I went back to see her this morning. In the morning light, she didn't seem to be Lady after all...so I hardened my already stony heart and walked on.  Someone will like her, I reasoned.  Hope I am right.

Most of the dogs at the shelter were male (8-1 preponderance?) and many of them were huge adult male pit bulls who were glaring out with lowering brows and barking their fool heads off.  I would not let a person who wanted such a dog even have a dog.  The female pit bulls were also quite hostile and aggressive in manner. Good looking dogs, though.

When I went through the cattery on the way out I foolishly asked about kittens.  Not kitten season, I was informed (yes, there is a kitten season at least in CA) but if I would return at the end of March or the first of April, there will be kittens in the new kitten window by the front door. Good to know.

As I left the shelter, two different people were literally dragging their reluctant dogs into the front door...oh how those dogs can read the minds of the other inmates and know they don't want to be there!  Both dogs were medium large, unattractive and hairy.  So were their owners, actually. I hated to see them. Such a reminder of impulsive dog decisions.

So I left, pondering my visit..  It's a terrible toss up.  Note to self:  do NOT return to the CV Animal Shelter any time soon, and especially do not return at the end of March or the beginning of April.
YAZZYBEL, who may be lonely but is free as a bird. (for now.)

No comments:

Post a Comment