Sunday, March 9, 2014

Daylight What?

Daylight Savings Time is here this morn; 
Let sound the celebratory horn!
But time hath left me in the lurch;
I woke too late to go to church!

When I was a schoolteacher, I had ample time to observe the effects of our arbitrary time system upon the systems of our harrassed American children.  No sooner were they subjected to the really awful sugar barrage of Halloween than they were put to the test of the return of  'normal' time, and went to school drugged and confused. Then in the spring, when they'd begun to wake up normally in the morning light, they were thrown back into dark, still chilly mornings when they were forced to arise and stagger off to school (well, in the car mostly) to blink their way through morning.  By far the harder situation on the children was the spring reversal to Daylight Savings Time. I don't know why. I just know that, Halloween sugar and all, they got through the fall transition more easily than the spring one. It was easily observable in practice.

I just overslept for church, in spite of having set the alarm last night after dutifully putting the clock forward as instructed by Big Brother. Who is Big Brother, anyway? Who tells us we have to do this? Why do we do it?

Arizona is the first sensible state I know of. They refuse to participate in the DST boggle.  They refuse to participate in lots of other things too; guess they are just a contrary-minded lot. Good for them. That's how you spell independence, folks.

I am drinking my coffee and now have time to decide whether or not I'll try to make a later service somewhere. Perhaps I will. Perhaps I will. 

After all,I have all the time in the world. YAZZYBEL

No comments:

Post a Comment