Saturday, March 1, 2014

Clients and Customers without Respect

Perhaps that's an ambiguous title up there.

Does it mean that the clients have no respect for anyone? It could.

Or does it mean that clients and customers no longer get any respect from the business they patronize?  That's the meaning  I meant it to mean.

I was thinking along these lines before I went out to the movies this afternoon.  Being much alone, I spend more time with the television than ever before. Therefore, I am an able judge of the quality of service (respect) from those whom I pay for this television.  I was so disgusted with the programming  on the television that I've been  offered lately  that I decided to go to the movies, of which more later.

Who exactly decided for Cox TV that we subscribers to Basic Cable (39.95 a month) deserve no better than hundreds of viewings of Braveheart,
Scarface, Mama's Big House, Halloween in all of its incarnations, and a list of other foolishness that no one in her right mind needs to see even once.? These and other second rate films play over and over again on this Basic Cable set of channels, as if there were not thousands of other good films available in this world. Were I to choose to upgrade, as both my sons have, I'd only have another list of second-rate stuff to choose from, and be hard-put to find one evening's entertainment in a month.  It's true.  Violence, sadism, gore, all proliferate in a general climate of sinking boredom.

Ghost stories have been proliferating to try to bring some relief to the general show of earthly beastliness and hatred.  They too are depressing and have almost no point except to show moods as blue and black as the colors they are filmed with. What is this? Why do we buy this? Why do we take this trash that we're offered?

I am ready to call it off with Cox, and go back to bunny ears just to see the news...but it occurs to me that I can learn to see the news on the computer where I am only bombarded with many many commercials an hour and only as much gore and sleaze as I cannot avoid.

So I went out to the movies, to see a docile movie, Philomena, today. First I was disrespected by being asked to pay $11.25 for the smallest coke and butterless popcorn  I could get. Then I was disrespected by being shown a large number of loud and baffling previews ("chosen to be shown with this feature"---how? why?) before my movie of choice came on.

I spilled quite a bit of my over-filled popcorn container over the floor around my seat. I left my over-filled paper cup of diet coke in the hole in the arm of my chair, proving that I can be disrespectful of both the theater and myself. I am only sorry that it's the poor flunkies, who have no vote on policy, who have to clean up after me.

And, did I like Philomena? No, I did not like it. And, respectfully, why did I not?

If I get around to it later, perhaps sometime I'll bother to tell you. If I feel like criticizing a movie. Hasta la vista, Baby. YAZZYBEL

No comments:

Post a Comment