Sunday, February 19, 2012

Bacon Biscuits

Well, move over, Katy Kornettes!
Because this morning I made bacon biscuits, and my, were they good.

I made the tiny recipe of one cup self-rising flour, one-eighth cup butter, and one half cup milk.  And one crispy slice of cooked thick bacon, cut into tiny cubes and stirred in at the last before baking.

This made eight normal sized biscuits, normal according to my mother.  According to Col. Sanders and his ilk, it would have made about 2 biscuits.  I ate two plus some of the scraps, and gave Theo two plus some of the scraps, and froze four for the future.

We may have the frozen four with frijoles, for our supper.  Or we may keep them for a surprise treat on some boring night when we just need something good.  I didn't make biscuits at all for years, in the interest of health.  And had never actually made bacon biscuits at all. I just decided to make them yesterday when I was reading Duchess Fergie's diet book written for Weight Watchers.

Wait a minute, sez I--if Fergie gets bacon biscuits, why don't I?  Of course the rule is you just get one per meal, and I ate two plus scraps. (The scraps are the best part once they are baked nice and brown.)  But life is too short never to have a bacon biscuit if you should want one, and I thought I'd like to try one today.

So after church, I came home and made bacon biscuits. Theo doctored up with his extra insulin, and he got his fair share.  Self-rising flour is something I've never used before but I bought a pkg of it lately, so got the recipe off the web and made them.

Church was good today.  I love the old rituals.  I love seeing the old faces and the new.  Sermon was good, as always when Dean Richardson preaches.  In fact, it is almost always good anyway.  Secret is, to listen.  Then you hear something you had not thought about before.

So, old church and new biscuits.  Makes for a beautiful, though with a foreboding dark sky and cold wind, Sunday. YAZZYBEL

No comments:

Post a Comment