Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Whatever Happened to Kitty Blanko?

The cry rises from my hordes of readers.

"Whatever happened to Kitty Blanko?" they cry. (In my dreams.)

For Kitty Blanko, that large and gawky young cat who figured largely in these posts in the latter part of 2011, has disappeared from Fairway Court, as far as I can tell.  I believe  he was gone by the time of Miranda's visit, for I think Miranda never saw him.

Of course, I have been awfully busy--otherwise I might well have been down to the corner whence I believe he came, to inquire.  But it's a corner of rentals, with strange young people from the Navy and otherwhere.  Kitty Blanko seemed to call that his home.  Lots of them moved out recently.  In the best scenario, I like to believe that someone loved Kitty B. well enough to take him along with them and that he's getting along fine somewhere with a family.  I hope.

I think about domestic animals a lot.  Watching "Animal Cops: (city)" has made us all aware of how many animals there are out there who need care and feeding.  And they aren't all little balls of fur. You grow up fast if you're on your own. You get mean.  You get selfish to the core.  You get hard.  It's rather amazing that these semi-feral animals, once they've been introduced to captivity, settle down at all into the docile and affectionate animals that we know.  Some of them never do, like Lily, KB's predecessor.  Lily started out a house pet, but got captured by the wife of a neighbor and put into a cage, and cared for, and then released when those people moved away.  Lily never returned to her domesticized ways.  She got wilder and wilder. She came around to eat (who wouldn't?) but she was her own man. She lived in a hole in the lower forty under some long grass. And it wasn't easy. She lost an eye too. Then, she too, disappeared...was simply never seen again.  Was she run over on the other street?  Captured by a civic group running down feral cats?  We will never know.  She like Kitty Blanko lived her own mysterious and private life.  Our paths crossed for a time, and then it was all over...guess life's like that. YAZZYBEL

No comments:

Post a Comment