Sunday, February 19, 2012

News fron Home

Good morning. (Written Saturday, Feb. 18)

This has been a two day hiatus with very little news from my kids or my sisters.  It's rare that this happens, that so few are writing more than a line or so in a day.

But this quiet period has followed a scene of rarest activity. I have had communication with Home of the past--the life of my mother.

Three days after my mother's birthday I decided to follow up on an old nagging curiosity. It happened like this.

My husband went to school with a guy in Tulsa who happened to have the name of the old high school sweetheart of my mother. I had always wanted Theo to ask him: Was his father so and so, from Waco Texas? But Theo, super conservative in social situations, would never ask.

Last week this man called Theo to reminisce and to tell him of the high school reunion that's going to take place...Theo told me he had no intention of going, but after a few days when no reunion packet had arrived he said sadly that he guessed they had written him off. That did it for me.

I got on the phone and dialed four one one, and found this man. When I got him on the phone, and told him who I was, and asked him about his dad--and, YES!  He was the one.  This man is the son of my mother's friend from oh so long ago.  We had the longest, loveliest talk.  My mother had told me so much about her friend's lovely mother and my new friend was pleased to hear about his own grandmother in memories from somebody else.

That's all there is to tell, really. We may not make it to the reunion, but it was a pleasure, a deep pleasure, to take that little trip to Home of the past. YAZZYBEL

No comments:

Post a Comment