Saturday, June 8, 2013

Something Delicious--and a Bonus

Good morning.

This won't be anything really new, just a couple of ideas on how you can use food in your refrigerator to make a couple of really good meals.

I had three large red tomatoes that had been sitting out in my kitchen for a few days, and knew I had to deal with them.  Numero uno was past it when I got around to it; it was well on the way to bad. So I tossed it, but the other two were still intact and looked good though too ripe to slice. So I cut them into quarters and blended them in my mini Cuisineart until they were liquid.  I poured them into a jar and had them in the refrigerator while I pondered the rest of my options.

I had a cold cooked dinosaur chicken breast in the refrigerator as well, but what with driving all over the creation and going to the hospital on the docket this week, it had been sitting there and looked mighty petrified.

So, I took that chicken breast and put it into a saucepan and added chicken broth to cover. I added onions because I love them so much and to me they add to anything.  I sprinkled in a few herbs of the oregano/rosemary/marjoram type, and set it to cook.  After it had all simmered for a time, I added the tomato puree that I'd set aside earlier in the refrigerator.  The whole broth took on the most beautiful color, a brilliant yet fresh looking yellow-red orange...and smelled heavenly.

After a time, I decided that that chicken breast had softened up for long enough, and I took it out and laid it onto a platter and with two forks I first removed the skin (for the kitty, who actually ate it) and then pulled the chicken apart into shreds.  The shreds actually covered the whole platter thickly and were a ton of good meat. There were bones because you know I don't like clones, and those I tossed. 

When lunch time came, I took out half of the meat,  put it into a bowl, cut a lot of celery, added Hellman's Mayonesa Con Limon, and put it away into the refrigerator as a salad for another meal.

The remaining chicken, as I eyed it, looked like a good five tacos' worth at least, so I took five tortillas out of the refrigerator and put them into a baking pan and sprayed them with spray olive oil and put them into the oven.  I also took several tablespoonsful of the broth and mixed it into the chicken on the platter.

I opened a can of hominy and heated it up. I opened a can of pinto beans and heated them up.
I removed the softened tortillas (they soften up quickly) and added to each one a large portion of shredded chicken, and a large pinch of lo-fat shredded cheese. I folded them and set them aside to go back into the oven in a moment.

The broth, in the meantime, was  simmering away .  Lunch was almost ready.  I looked in the refrigerator and found a bag of cut-up chard, and I shredded some of the leaves/stems/whatever.  I put the tacos back into the oven until thoroughly warm and melted.

For lunch we each  got a bowl of delicious golden red broth. Theodore got four generous tacos and I got one.  We each had a serving of frijoles and hominy on our plates. I sprinkled shredded chard over the tacos (instead of lettuce, which I also like--but the chard is more nutritious.)

It was a good and filling main meal of the day, with very little fat and lots of nutrition and flavor. Bonus was that I put the last of the hominy and beans into the last of the broth, and put it all into the refrigerator for a soup today at supper. I'll just add a bit of chicken broth from the carton in the refrigerator. (A very convenient thing to have around.)

This last soup could also have some ginger or some coconut added and it wouldn't be a bit out of line, if you wanted a slightly different cast of ethnicity to your soup.  Fusion cuisine, de veras.YAZZYBEL

No comments:

Post a Comment