Monday, June 13, 2011

Monday, and the Book Club Looms--in three weeks

Good morning...this will be a hurried post, as last night my computer suddenly started making a frightening roaring sound as of that of a racing engine. It stopped, but shortly did it again. I turned off the computer! A phone call to Ben informed me that it was probably the fan to the power (board?) of the computer. That means a phone call to the Geeks I guess because I have no other recourse.  Anyway, I am writing fast before the roaring starts again.

The book club are reading Anna Karenina. Finally, an old chestnut.  I 've read Anna Karenina a couple of times before,  I read it the way I read War and Peace in high school...going from love scene to love scene. In my mind, Pierre and Levin are kind of mixed up, although Kitty seems a little less loveable than Natasha...I remember Princess Mary and Prince Andrew's story appealed to me too in War and Peace. Since then, of course, I have seen both stories a number of times in cinema and television versions.
Those stories are different to me from the novel experiences.  But the computer is revving up again and I have no time to go into the books at any length for I fear a blow-up.

All I can say is that, when I opened up the book and dove into the confusion and emotional lives of the hapless Stiva and Dolly, and met again the Scherbatzkys taking their aristocratic recreation at the skating rink, and grimly tackled Levin's love and his feelings about his feelings--home again! That is what I love about Tolstoy. Home again!  And Anna and Vronsky havent even come into the picture yet. 

I have ordered the new translation and shall compare at least a little of the two to see whether or not it was worth all that work.

That's me in the car up there on our vacation. I thought I'd look apprehensive but I just look tired! Now I must close before the computer starts roiling again.   YAZZYBEL

No comments:

Post a Comment