Saturday, June 18, 2011

Saturday Already

Good morning....

I did not write yesterday because I could not find the poem I meant to put in to polish off the Friday posting. I did not look very hard, because I was busy all day. Little accomplished.

So often this blog goes more unembellished than  it might be, because I cannot find a poem, a photograph, or a drawing,  that would go so well with it. "Organization is the key to success," was one of my father's maxims which I might well have profitted from if I'd learned it.

Another of my father's maxims was, "Always fly first class."  I can only give a wry smile in response to that one.  I have flown first class, and do love the luxury of it. Compared to the squeezing and cramping of regular class, it's great.  But I don't drink much and don't have a great yen to eat food while flying, so other than for the space I can't really appreciate it enough. My companion the last time I flew first class was a young man who was returning from Minneapolis where he had made a Christmas visit to his ex-wife and young children. He was a home building contractor who had "made a shit-load of money," as he gracefully put it. Now in the depths of the recession, some  years later, I wonder if he is still as complacent about his status and if he still flies first class.  Perhaps he's come out smelling like a rose.

The good news from here this week is that the neurologist who examined Theodore on Thursday said that he didn't find signs of Alzheimer's (though there were memory problems.)  He said that there was some Parkinson's perhaps and offered L-Dopa, but did not press for it.  But when asked to name as many animals as he could in one minute, Theo said, "Cat, dog, rat...," and then ran out of steam.  "Think of the zoo," said the doctor, and Theo got out, "Camel, bear....," and I said, "Desert," and he said,"Lizard....," so there was definitely a problem with gathering his wits....Otherwise he discoursed in a sane and witty manner, much like the kid who's been coughing for a week but would not produce one little sound for the doctor if his life depended on it, and the doctor could not say there was anything terribly wrong with him. The doctor did not say he could not drive.  So now we can drive off for another vacation. Yahoo. YAZZYBEL

No comments:

Post a Comment