Sunday, July 29, 2012

Taco Salad Tacos, Polenta Cornbread, and other diversions

Sunday==break time.

The other night I made the best tacos.  They were Taco Salad Tacos.  What made them worthy of the name?

Nowadays I often"fry" tortillas in the oven. So when I was making this dish, I sprayed a large cookie sheet and put in three corn tortillas (they can over lap, it doesn't matter) and cooked them a time until they were a little crisp around the edges. Then I folded two of them and kept the one flat. After the taco meat was prepared, I made the tacos in this order.  Lay a tortilla on a plate, add cut up lettuce, tomato, onion and add a little salad dressing of your choice...add the meat, add half the third taco broken up, add hot sauce, add cheese, add sour cream if you like. (I like but I always forget it nice though it is.)  Do it again with the other taco.  What makes these tacos pleasant is the little broken up pieces of lightly 'fried' tortilla, than which there is no pleasanter substance.


Polenta Cornmeal came about because I was trying to buy Italian yellow cornmeal as it is not Genetically Modified. *

I could only find quick-cook polenta, so today I made a little bowl of polenta, salt, soda, lemon juice and milk, mixed it all up and baked it at 400 degrees on a well buttered cooky sheet.  It came out thin, round and brown around the edges like a giant sugar cooky.  I cut it in eighths.  It was too salty, one, and it was a little grainy, two. Which means that cornbread needs that wheat flour that's in it in order to smooth out the results. However, it is edible and I am having some for my lunch with the gravy from the Meals on Wheels dinner.  And I didnt want to put in any wheat.

* Genetically Modified in this instance probably means that the corn genes were melded with the genes of a poison that will kill the insects that eat the corn.  Think about that.  It is not supposed to hurt us folks, but here is how it kills the corn insects: it blows out their little insides. 
Recently you may have read of Leaky Gut Syndrome.  This is what it is.  Those little teeny genes of GM corn/ insecticide are supposed to blow out little teeny holes in our intestines, allowing food to leak out and causing all kinds of heck in our body cavities.  I don't know; I'm just sayin'.  I look for foreign corn meal with no GM attributes.

Today in church, wardrobe attributes were confused.  I myself started the morning in a light crepe shirt, which I returned to sender and preplaced with a tee and a warm jacket before leaving the house.  A few wore the pale and jaunty remnants of midsummer (and looked cold), and a few had gone back to suits and ties or a combination of summer/fall that just didn't look right.  It's warm out now, but it wasn't at seven, plus it was dark dark dark.  The sun has now come out; a stew is simmering in the slow cooker I purchased at the Home Avenue Goodwill on the way home after church, and all is well here on Fairway Court, thanks be to God.  YAZZYBEL

No comments:

Post a Comment