Saturday, December 22, 2012

How I Make My Bed Now

Good evening!

What a strange caption for a blog posting, no?

But there have been so many different subjects I've been meaning to write about this week....(The Music of Love, More about the Mass Shooting in Connecticut, and the good cookie recipe, amongst others) but it's hard to find the right quiet time in which to write.  C'mon, I know, no excuses!

So I'll write about how I make my bed now.  Since I am 83, I don't have all the strength in the world that I used to have.  So I make the bed up in the easy way.  It's quick, it's neat, and I am happy with it.

I don't like contour sheets any more.  The mattresses have become so huge and fat that fitted sheets don't really fit them.  New sheets are made extra large to fit these mattresses, but they don't really fit either, truth be told.

So, I use only flat sheets.  I lay one sheet down for the bottom sheet, and smooth it out.  I lay a second flat sheet down for the top sheet, and smooth it out. Blankets, puffers, and quilts go on top of all that.  Easy to put on, easy to smooth out and rearrange if it's not wash day, and easy to take off if it is.

It's not too easy to buy just flat sheets unless you are paying top dollar at a good good store...you have to buy the proper 'set'....but too bad; I have foiled them by picking up odd king and queen sized flat sheets over the years, and just use those.  Old sheets are smoother and softer, too.  Not eerily soft like the new 'sateen' 600 thread count sheets; soft and smooth like cotton that's been washed and washed and washed and is still getting more comfortable.

That's how I make the bed now.  No painful lifting of mammoth mattresses, no tucking of corners.  No, the bottom sheet doesn't come loose. It was never un-loose to begin with. It was just smooth.  And remains that way, in our tranquil elderly bed.  Bonne nuit, everybody.  YAZZYBEL

No comments:

Post a Comment