Sunday, December 30, 2012

The Music of Love

Good afternoon!  It's been and still is a gray, cold Sunday.  It's been raining--what a blessing! Right now it's what's called "clearing," which it means it's a little brighter outside.

Off to church betimes this morning, and it was beautiful this morning in church. The light was brighter there because there were not many clouds over downtown San Diego at the time; and it was just light.  And cold. And the Christmas wreaths and big red velvet bows were still cheerily up, and all the candles were lit for once.

I am thinking of light because I watched that movie about Vermeer (his maid, rather) as I took my nap. The whole movie is one big Vermeer painting and I love it for that.

I hate to apologize for my work, but this essay about the music of love isn't going to be a good one; that is, it's not going to say what I want to say.
That's because I don't yet know what I want to say, but I've been putting it off for time to think, and that time hasnt showed up yet after two weeks, so I'll just make a stab at it.

I was thinking of the beautiful Nachtmusik II of Mahler's Seventh Concerto, "andante amoroso." The first time I ever heard it, it stopped me in my tracks.  I felt it as the most erotic piece of music I'd ever heard.  What was it about that composition that captured so well the stirrings  of erotic love?

Well, I have thought and listened and the more you listen and the more you think about it, the less you feel capable of describing anything about it.  It's so complex and there are so many different feelings and sensations running through the lines.

Yes, at first, I was attracted to the most obvious device--which is like a quiver, a stabbing quiver, like a bee stinging, or like a man when he's at the apex of his climax....It accompanies an almost courtly, lighthearted humorous dance: a courtship dance. Courtship is meant for public consumption, no? It takes place out where society is functioning in its proper way.  And then it takes place more privately, where it is called loveplay.  And then that little swooning quiver which is at the heart of lovemaking...

But as I've listened more, I have noticed an almost sinister beat underlying the whole movement.  Of course!  The Creator of the Universe has to keep the whole thing going all the time.  He cannot rest a minute.  And He is relentless!  That is the force that rears the crop of new young males in every generation.  They will not be stopped...(for they are the agents of that Creator, though they aren't thinking in those terms.)  Interesting. And very scary.  Listen to it.  Three times at least, and then again tomorrow.  You'll get the idea. YAZZYBEL

No comments:

Post a Comment