Tuesday, August 16, 2011

No poem

I am just not in the poetry-writing mood this week. I know that because I'd like to enter the Haiku Monday contest and I just cannot choke out a word. The topic is the Pacific and surely I'd have a lot to speak about that...but nothing will come.  So I could not write it.

Above you have a picture of some candlesticks I bought at the Goodwill last week. They are exquisite, and the perfect example of why price is meaningless as is where you found something.  This concept is quite quite foreign to many people, but let me tell you that shopping at Goodwill has broadened my education so much since I first started doing it twenty or more years ago!!!  You learn to see every object for itself, its design, its functionability, its beauty, (or lack thereof), and you realize that superficial standards such as buying at a chic boutique are meaningless, except for the pleasure the surroundings may give you.  Those candlesticks would be just as lovely if you found them in a trash bin.  They are just charming and I was lucky to find them.


And, again, above--the chandelier I bought at a neighbor's garage sale. He was clearing out the house of his dead aunty.  How much, sez I.  Five dollars, sez he. It was oh so encrusted with dust and grime. 'I'll take it,' sez I, much to my husband's loudly expressed chagrin.  But I prevailed, brought it home, put it on a low table in the LR, and over days sprayed it with windex and whatever else I could think of. And when Alexander came, he nipped up a ladder and hung it up. I just love it, frankly.  FIVE DOLLARS!  It's Murano glass, not the finest but not the worst, and artfully made , pleasing to the eye, and just overdone enough that we can take a voluptuous pleasure in contemplating it.  YAHOO!!--YAZZYBEL

No comments:

Post a Comment