Friday, October 19, 2012

Spanish Saying of the Week

Hi. I have a neat Spanish workbook and in the back there are many "dichos" or sayings...proverbs lofty and common...which are all interesting.

The translations are particularly interesting because often the images/words are nothing at all related to the actual words of the saying.  They are meant to convey the real meaning behind the old saying.

This week's saying is not too different in Spanish or English:  Con la cuchara que elijas, con esa comeras.

In English, we say: You have made your bed, now lie in it.

The first one uses spoons and eating to make the point, the second, a bed.  I think they're both apropos as images, because they're both everyday things.  And it is so true that upon the turn of a choice, sometimes made in pride or stubbornness or impractical optimism, lies the future of our lives from then on.

I was reminded of this in my own case as I talked to my son last night. Something he said made me think of a choice I made that brought me where I am today.  But as I muddled over it all in my head before I fell asleep,  (about five minutes),  it seemed that each moment of   'choice' , as I isolated it, brought me further and further back in time so that I could not really say which "choice" was the very one that brought me to this day.

Interesting.  Perhaps we are the chosen and are only imagining that we do the choosing....does it make sense? No.  Entropy, that is what it is.  A word I  am only beginning to understand. That is why we shake our heads and say, "Lord help us!" Perhaps we think we're saying it lightly, but we are really not. Not at all. YAZZYBEL

No comments:

Post a Comment