Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Things Happen

Good morning.

And it is morning, and it is good.

Good is relative, now. And it is still good!

Things have change around here a lot.  We are making major adjustments (not very well) to a more advanced stage of old age.  A visiting nurse comes to see my errant hubby, who will jump up off the sofa and charge off in some direction just as if he still had complete control of his equilibrium.  He doesn't, and he falls, of course.  He often hits his head when that happens, and the doctors (sounds as if he's the president or a king, no?) have taken him off coumadin as it could cause him to bleed into his brain when he konks his head.  He doesnt understand that and thinks it was the coumadin making him dizzy and so forth. Does it matter? Guess not.

My state is more prosaic. For some reason I inflamed my inflamed nerve in right lower back and spend several days immobilized in agony two weeks ago .  Made me realize our vulnerability. Theo does a lot around here, but if I am down he is "out."  He was not able to make the basic decisions concerning my care when I basically could not move.  Next time, I'll have to get a nurse-caretaker.  Kaiser doesn't understand why I couldn't dash into the Urgent Care or Walk In Clinic to get help. They don't understand that there are times that we need help but can't go out to get it for ourselves. That's when we most need it, actually.

On a stranger, lighter plane, ==do you remember my blog about hairdressers and our strange relationships with them? How they take us for granted, and we do the same for them?  Well...when we got back from Concord, I called for an appointment with Don, and the shopowner said, "I'm sorry, Linda, but Don is not working here any more...," and I was just floored.  I got an appointment with another guy whom I love but he does not do a "strong" job on my hair combing so I can't stay with him. First things first.  So I decided to try going back to my old guy, Art.  He's farther away, but not too terribly. About five minutes more.
Art and I re-united on a cautious basis.  Now I have seen him twice, and I hope that this time the relationship sticks.  Of course, if he moves...I'll have to go through the frantic process of trying to follow him because he never did tell me when he did before.  But luckily he seems well placed where he is, and I hope we make it this time. I look forward to better cut hair, and better combed.

That reminds me that Don finally called me to tell me where he now is.  He's a dear person and I dearly love him.  But I'd already made up my mind. Carpe diem.  The weights swing over and a different diem is dawning. (Mixed metaphor.) I seized Art and who knows what may come of it. He speaks machine-gun Spanish and with my hard of hearing issues now, it's hard to follow what he's saying. But we still have a lot in common, including a love of literature and films.  He gave me tips of things I 'd love to watch.  So we have that. But it is the hair that 's the main issue and I have great confidence in him on that score. YAZZYBEL

No comments:

Post a Comment