Friday, March 11, 2011

Burnt Breakfast for Lent

Good morning!!

At bedtime I had Theodore take my blood glucose reading and I thought it was rather high.  All that Valentine's candy has taken its toll, so I have decided to Cease and Desist for a week to see whether or not that helps.  Sometimes we just have to bite the bullet, don't we?

I remember that I had one other period in my life when I did not eat any sugar for months. It was in the seventies. My weight went up to 134, and I was worried about being fat.  So ---Dr Atkins had come into being and I went on his diet.  I did not make his diet "bread" or rolls, but just ate the foods that had no carbs. I even gave up milk.  I did not give up catsup nor sweet pickles but after all they were a very teeny part of my consumption.  Otherwise--nada. Just like when I was eleven.  Within a month, some man at work commented on my backside when I reached up to my too-high mailbox. I was stunned.  Could a noticeable difference have been made in such a short time?  I started this diet in October, and stuck to it to the letter until December when I ate a little Mexican rice at the school Christmas party and my weight loss (which was very very slow according to the scale, but constant) came to a halt for a week. Back on the diet.  Got down to 124.  On Christmas Eve I made tamales, and ate not one.  Not one.  The secret of a Dr Atkins type diet is that carbohydrates create their own craving for carbohydrates.  Once you are eating all you want within the limits, your body has balanced out and you no longer crave sweets. I could look at a giant white-iced cake at school, watch everyone else wolf it down, and have NO DESIRE for it...it could have been made of plaster, for all the hunger it aroused in me.  

By January I was down to about 120 and I looked wonderful.  My body had thrown off all the "dirty water" around my knees, ankles, hips.  My upper back was nice and skinny and I wore a 32 bra.  My stomach was flat and the rest of me was in great shape.  (I had been exercising a lot  before I went on the diet then, I forgot to mention.) My skin was beautiful. Eggs have sulfur and sulfur is good for your skin.  I jumped from a 14 size in jeans to a five and don't even know how it happened.  Never needed a 12 or 10.  I stayed skinny for about two years but gradually the old ways crept in, cheesecake here, a donut there, and it was all over.  I was still reasonably thin until past menopause and past hormone replacements. Then--well, it's hard, isn't it? 

In that period when I was sticking to the diet, I was cooking for me and three boys; I cooked plenty and my lunch the next day was the leftovers from dinner the night before.  Fish and vegetables for dinner, cold fish and vegetables in a plastic box the next day.  Cokes and so forth, if artificially sweeted, were sweetened with saccharine.  I am here to tell you that that's the only sweetener that I'm sure does not produce a sugar reaction. There was no Aspartame, no Sucaryl, no Ace-P or whatever it is.  If you eat diet jello  or diet soda sweetened only with saccharine, your body KNOWS it is not really sweet; it 's just fooling you. GOOD.  That's what we need.  But now just try to avoid aspartame if you are consuming artificially sweetened products. Hah!

So this morning I made a flat flat sausage patty for my breakfast but burnt the dickens out of it while reading the paper.  Then I went for bacon but burnt that too. Still reading the paper and watching about the tragic tsunami in Japan.  Finally I asked Taterton to make the breakfast today including a scrambled egg for me.  I ate a little piece of his bacon and a serving of scrambled egg. Delicious. Tomorrow I shall honor my food and pay attention to what I am doing. Thanks, Theodore! YAZZYBEL

No comments:

Post a Comment