Tuesday, March 8, 2011

The Morning After

I have always been an early riser.  In my own family, I was the first one up, even including my busy-bee grandparents, Annie Bell and "Mack" Temple.  When first light appeared, I jumped out of my bed refreshed and ready to see the world. I would wander around the house, or look out the windows, or sometimes get our my water colors and paper and paint or draw all by myself.  I cherished  that time on my own, as I was fortunate enough to live in a multi-generational home where there was always someone keeping an eye on us children.

Once, in Laredo, when I was about ten years old, I saw a startling animal which I've never forgotten.  I was first up, and the sky was fully light.  I saw the paper outside and thought I would run out to get it, as I often did (and still do.)  We lived out on the edge of civilization on Piedra China Street (and that house, so big then, so small now) is still there. When I opened the door and started to push the screen open, there lay at my feet on the small space between big door and screen door, the strangest lizard I have ever seen.  He was about ten inches long, and, instead of being sleek and sinuous like most lizards, he was fat and rough-looking.  He looked, in fact, to my ten-year-old eyes,  like a Mexican Beaded Lizard or a Gila Monster--except that he was green. Grass green.  Lizard color.  I was horrified, and stepped back inside and closed the door.

I never told anybody about seeing that lizard, or if I did, nobody believed me. I can hardly even believe myself, as I've never seen or heard of a green lizard that looked like that.  I now guess that he was some kind of chameleon or anole--but that big?  And what was he doing in hot, dry, brown Laredo?  Ah well, just another of the things that happened to me in my life that I never told anybody about.  Until now.

Last night I presented my presentation, none too smoothly, I'm afraid.  My best points were weakened by my not eliding my thoughts ahead in a serene and secure style.  Too bad.  Sometimes you're on, and sometimes you're not.  But I was in a good mood, and enjoyed a couple of glasses of wine. I wish people would quit putting out bowls of nuts; they do nothing for a speaker's throat.  I know--I should just say NO. 

The main presentation of "eats" was spectacular, caterer's food, with a delicious fresh raspberry tart, a chocolate mousse cake, bowls of cut fruit, lemon squares--something for everybody and it was all good.  Next month, April 4th, we will be listening to Lee present Divisadero, by Michael Ondaatje.  I voted for that because I love San Francisco, northern California, and the first pages of The English Patient.  And I look forward to reading the book.  I'm  mad at Amazon.com, because they've somehow thrown me off of  "Buy With One Click," which was so convenient.  I should be thanking them, of course.  I have saved a small fortune in the last month or so, not buying those one-cent books...But anyway I will go to eBay, because I can pay easily there with Paypal.  And there shall I look first. YAZZYBEL

No comments:

Post a Comment