Friday, October 21, 2011

A Delicious Sandwich and a Casserole

I made a delicious sandwich for lunch today.  Inspired by the McDougall Diet, I have been experimenting with making whole meals without any animal products. As much as possible.

Today, I cut into small thin strips:
about 6 thin thin onion rings
a few tablespoonfuls of thin slices of red and green peppers...
And mixed these into a dressing made from 1 teaspoon mayonnaise, 2 t. chile sauce, and about 1/4 teaspoon mustard.
I spread the above on one slice of whole wheat bread.  Then I took one slice from a huge ripe tomato, which covered the dressing completely.
On the facing slice of bread I cut up and mashed one half ripe avocado.  Added salt and pepper. Put together and cut in two. 
That was one tasty sandwich.  Almost too juicy, but the dressing on one side and the avocado on the other kept the tomato slice under control.  Really satisfying.

The only non McDougall element was the t. of mayo. Well, and the s and p.

Dr McDougall doesn't want you to have any meat whatsoever, nor eggs, milk, butter. Nor sugar. Nor salt and (presumably) pepper.  It is hard for the average American to follow such a regimen.  But, with application and strictness, one can make a diet that will be far less full of fat and extraneous meat products than the average.  I figure, try to make the meals meatless and saltless and sugarless as Dr McD wants. Then, every few days, a breakout towards the hamburger or chicken leg can probably be tolerable in the scheme of health. 

I also made a smoothie of pineapple, cucumber, and orange juice.  Very good. You can definitely taste the cucumber. I like cucumbers, so that's OK with me. And I made a great "scalloped" potato casserole night before last.

Not Scalloped Potatoes

one potato, peeled and thinly sliced
green peppers, sliced medium thin into sticks
onion, sliced medium thin into rings or cubes

Using spray oil, lightly spray a glass baking dish.
Add a layer of potatoes.
A layer of  peppers and onions.
Salt and pepper.
Another layer of potatoes.
Another layer of peppers and onions.
Spray of oil.
Salt and pepper.
Add skim milk to tops of potatoes.

Bake in medium hot oven (remember I have no calibration so have to guess) about an hour until done. If they are getting too brown on top, turn the oven down.  When vegetables are done, remove and set on table or top of stove.  They are delicious, filling, and satisfying.

That's a way you can cook without meat. I never thought I'd be able to do it for any length of time. Aside from beans and rice and tortillas.  But with a salad, and some good fruit for dessert (and maybe a cookie)...that is a good supper.  Of course I am not supposed to use milk. Don't know what that casserole would be with water instead of milk...OK. Better than nothing for sure. YAZZYBEL

No comments:

Post a Comment