Monday, October 24, 2011

McDougall-ish Ideas but the Dishes are Mine



Good morning; here is a picture of a delicious dish that would be loved by skinny bitches and bastards, McDougall-ites, and in fact any and all vegans.

Nothing is in this dish except vegetables.  I bought a huge eggplant and peeled it. I cut it in circles, put three circles together, cut them in small strips, thence into small cubes.  I sauteed them in a very tiny amount of olive oil,which Dr McD would not like but everybody else would.  Then I added cubed or sliced onions, garlic, red or green bell pepper, a tiny slice of a red serrano minced so tiny you wouldn't believe it, and I sauteed everything gently, and then I added one can of tomato sauce (saltless), and a small cubed red tomato. And some black olives.  You can also add a bit of water (not too much; eggplants are watery) and leave it all to simmer. Oh yes, you may add herbs of your choice. And a little salt and pepper.  It's amazing how little salt you need once you get out of the habit of salting thoughtlessly.This dish is sometimes called eggplant caviar, and it can be eaten cold on crackers or bread, or all by itself with a spoon. Or heated in a bowl as a comfort food.

Now, the sandwich above is the one that I wrote about in the last posting.  Is it not pretty?  And it is so delicious.  Sandwiches do not have to have meat or cheese in them to be very satisfying to the taste buds.

I ask  you also to look at the plate. I take these plates out every fall of the year.  I wish I lived where there were oak trees and acorns all over the place. Of course, up in the mountains near San Diego, there are lots of wonderful oak trees.  Many of them have been lost to bugs or burning over the last few years. Let us say a prayer of thanks for their existence on this earth.
They are so beautiful; the leaves are beautiful, the acorns are fascinating...I draw a lot of oak trees as we go on our drives up and down the coast of California.

The name of that set of plates is "October Days," and the maker is Homer Laughlin.  America used to turn out a lot of beautiful, simple, utilitarian things.  I just love my autumn dishes.  And the foods on them too. YAZZYBEL
.

No comments:

Post a Comment