Monday, October 3, 2011

A Wonderful Concert

Yesterday Patricia took me to hear the opening concert (for the Sunday crowd) of the SD Symphony year. It was a stunner. It's so kind of her to do this.

May I say it was too loud? That is my only negative comment.  Other than that, it was simply breath-taking.

The main presentations were two, both concertos by Ravel, both played by Jean-Yves Thibaudet.  He was magnifique.  He had incredible technique and great sensitivity as well.  He's a very French -looking Frenchman in middle age, affable and very aware.  I really feel awed that I got to hear him.

I especially appreciated the pieces because I used to play lots of Ravel, not well of course. But with a great deal more accuracy, industry, and musicality than I now can do.  So I got the nuances, and the little hints of all the smaller pieces that I played that are always tucked away in these larger efforts.... what makes the composer the composer: the little almost obsessive themes and games that come up over and over again in his work.

The other two works (the louder ones) were Hector Berlioz' Roman Comedy Overture and Ottorino Respighi's Feste Romane.  I like Berlioz's overture, but I really love Feste Romane, especially the October Festival. It is a little masterpiece all its own. October has its own connotations in America, (mostly vulgar), and it is good to hear of October in another civilization. Beautiful.

Theo kindly chauffered me, which saves ten dollars for parking but does make him have to hover about for three hours  more or less in order to do my bidding. I think I should just pay the ten dollars and take myself again. There were plenty of places in the lot a small block from Symphony Hall.

Back to home and popped a casserole into the oven that I had assembled earlier.  Kitty Blanko was scuttling about in the wings and I am sorry to report that tragedy has befallen him.  I have been noticing for a week or two that he'd sustained an injury to his right eye, and it looks worse and worse. I have hovered, Neosporin in hand, but he won't let me get near enough to touch him, much less apply medicine. It's too bad, because the sight in that eye might have been saved. Now it appears that the body is doing its own thing but Kitty Blanko may not survive it. Sad. He had such bold, beautiful green eyes. YAZZYBEL

No comments:

Post a Comment