Monday, October 31, 2011

Still Vegatating

I have been so so drowsy today...I realized about a half hour ago that I had no cafe this morning. I had tea, to see if I really want coffee in the mornings. So far the answer is a rousing YES. So I just had a cup of coffee. I am not galvanized into action, but am not quite as sleepy as I was.

It's Halloween, and many children of the Tijuana persuasion will be here this evening.  You would not believe how beautifully costumed they are.  They're just adorable. Many mamas and dads are there with the kids, with their sacks, too.  Big babies, they are.  And last year I even had a granny.  I thought it was awfully funny.  I hope they don't eat all that candy they'll get. If they are smart, they'll take it to their spider holes, bag it up, and sell it off bit by bit, under which circumstances it will be better for everybody.  I was sitting on the sofa trying to read last night,and finally realized that the horrible chemical distracting odor I'd been smelling was coming from a bag of bubble gum treats that was sitting there next to me.  Horrible stuff.

I am still struggling along with the all-veggie meal plans. Today I fell off the wagon. I felt the need for some protein so had water-pack tuna with my raw cabbage salad.  It was pretty good.  But then later I had a teeny Snickers and 2 mini Tootsie Rolls.  Tell me, was there a relation between the eating of tuna and the craving for Snickers? Probably.

So I made a little sandwich of the rest of the tuna in one slice of brown bread, and just had that with my cup of coffee. Might as well be hung for a whole fish as a fin....It was a quite tiny amount, all in all.

Last night I made a wonderful dish of vegetable matter.  I sprayed a pan with grapeseed oil, disapproved of by Dr. McDougall of course, and then I sauteed gently: 2 c. mushrooms, cut thick, 4 cups chard cut in strips, and five or six green onions cut into thin pieces...they cooked and made their own juice, and were just delicious.  A winning combo.

I will have the last of that tonight, and I am going to have to be careful of making too much.  My grandmother would have described this diet in terms, not of fiber, but of "bulk" and "roughage."  Roughage it is, and it's very filling.  But vegetable cook-ups and stews do not bear with too much overheating the next day.  One service as a leftover, and that's that for me. It becomes too much like ensilage if it lingers in the refrigerator too long, and that is no good.  Tonight I don't think I'll have anything more since I had that half of verboten sandwich.  It's all too filling.

Well, tomorrow we take Mr. Taterton to the doctor to get bawled out about his blood sugars.  He blames me for what he eats, of course.  It is all too hard for someone who has never wanted to give a thought about what he ate or drank--except whether it piqued his fancy or not.  I have tried to feed him better. He won't eat it. But he is going to get a big helping of that vegetable dish up there again tonight, under the guise of a side dish for his hamburger.  YAZZYBEL

No comments:

Post a Comment