Thursday, November 17, 2011

Demise of a Giant

Today, Thursday, our huge old eucalyptus is finally going down . I  say, "ours," because it is within ten feet of our house at the back. Though on the other side of the fence, and the property of the neighbor, it has been our companion ever since Theo or I have lived here...

It used to shelter little birds by the hundreds at twilight, and I loved to hear them settling down for the night. And it has had the nests of hawks, too, and of later years the crows who probably have driven all the others away in time. Of late years, even the crows have had it with the tree, and this year they did not nest up there although they hung out and chattered.  I felt that they did not make their nest there because of the tree's precarious state of health and care. It had not been trimmed for years and years, if ever. Theo took down two huge overhanging limbs about ten years ago himself, which were nearly touching our roof.  Since then, nada.  The tree man says the tree's seventy feet tall.

There is a machine out on the street, spewing ground up debris into the bin of a large truck.  They have a lot more to do. I'll come back on later and post more on this if I can, and show you some pictures.  My sister no. 5 asked if I am going to like the results. My answer is, We'll have to live with it and see.  It ought to be a lot neater around here at least. YAZZYBEL

No comments:

Post a Comment