Friday, November 4, 2011

Perhaps a Dull Day==who knows?

Good morning. It is seven, dark outside...well, as I turn I see it is getting light...and I am sitting here sneezing. Why am I suddenly sneezing this fall as opposed to the last few years, when I have hardly sneezed at all?

Now that's a dull first paragraph.  I guess I'll get duller and talk about grammar.  Yesterday's post about stars contained the sentence (more or less) "I doubt that either he or I have seen anything like (those stars) since."  Should I have used "has" or "have" there? Since it directly follows "I" , "have" seems to be an okay choice. But the real subject of that verb is "either", and  I should have written it, "I doubt that either of us has seen anything like...," to avoid choosing a verb so precisely.

I know English grammar, thanks to Mrs. Ellis of Ellis Private School in Laredo, Texas, in 1940.  Mrs. Ellis, then, was as old as the hills, and had learned her grammar in 1890, probably.  She really knew her stuff.
And sister No.2  and I were of the right mindset to take it all in right then, and we did. It gave us a four-square solid foundation with our language that we have used and appreciated all our lives. I find my everyday language corrupted nowadays, by laxity and carelessness, but the solid boards are there.  I could diagram any (correctly written) sentence that you could give me, right now. Just try it.

Well, I have been eating vegan-ly for a week or so, but I have been adding on some cake that I made for my no-show cousin, and a few nips of Halloween candy. The candy does not taste as bad as it did at first so that means that I have lost it as far as the advantage of the diet is concerned.  If I were still on the Path, those little peanut crunch-molasses bars with the stripes would taste quite alien instead of yummy. Note to self:  Improve. Go back.  Get with the program.

Last night I made a vegan stew.  I need to know how to make one that is more deeply flavorful. Perhaps browning the onions a bit would have done it. The dish was tasty but a bit weak and vegetable-tasting. It was made of carrots cut in big chunks, onions, green peppers, red peppers, tomatoes, corn kernels, and a sprinkle of herbs and dried garlic bits.  It was a bit watery because I wanted to be sure the carrots cooked long enough.  Instead of cut tomatoes alone, I could have added canned tomato sauce...Let's see...what else? I'll think.  More garlic. 

Today I have to weigh and thanks to the cake and candy I won't have lost anything and can only pray I have not gained.  See, I said this would be dull, right? And tomorrow I make and take tea sandwiches to the church tea party, and then sit there to be harangued into increasing my pledge.  Oh, I am resistant.  You guys don't know how resistant. YAZZYBEL

No comments:

Post a Comment