Wednesday, February 23, 2011

The Color Pink and Other Girly Things

Good morning!! Our company has left.

I was going to entitle this post: How to Gain Two Pounds in Three Days, but that sounded too depressing so I decided to address that in the main body of the theme instead of focussing on it.  Yes, my digital scale, which is never wrong, says that I weigh three pounds more this morning than I did on Saturday.

We ate like kings.  That is, far too much. 'Nuf said.  That it was all delicious goes beyond saying, but the truth is that we also ate purchased candy, cookies, and snacks that ordinarily we'd be ashamed of indulging in too much. So, that's how you gain two pounds in three days of serious eating.

I wish I knew how to add photos onto the blog.  Sometime I must find the time to research that. I barely have time to write uninterrupted.  In fact, it never happens. Right now, now that the guests have left, I am tearing along trying to finish this before Patricia comes over to practice with me on the piano.

Anyway, I love the color pink, though I have never been a pink nut. I had a pink living room once, in my big house in Mission Hills. It looked pretty good. I painted it that color (I did it) in tribute to my mother's big pink living room in Brownsville, Texas, back in the day.  If you have this month's House Beautiful,March 2011, look on page 73 to see the exact pink of her living room, and the color I attempted to reproduce twenty years later with the help of San Diego Paint and Glass. Anybody remember that place? It was way downtown and it had everything the enterprising home fixer could want, from cork tiles to small bags of cement that a school teacher could use on a brief holiday, mixing the concrete in a mixing bowl and applying it  in some needy place  until the daylight ebbed.  Our pink was the light light one at the bottom of the page. A lovely color.

My bathroom has a hated color of pink tiles, a bit more strident. They look horrible to me most of the time because I think bathrooms should be water color, and both my and Theodore's  baths have peppermint pink tiles. His is worse because his pink tiles are trimmed with maroon tiles. Oh my. A sledgehammer is the only thing those pink tiles remind me of.  But I put a small bouquet of pink and white  roses in mine from time, and then I am reconciled to the beauty of pink, tempered with white and with sunlight.  Lovely. You'd love the photo if I knew how to put it in.  I must remember to ask my sister who writes http://www.bennyedictus.blogspot.com/; she puts in lots of them.

I just heard last night on the radio that blogs are now out, out, out.  Gracious. It's taken me so long to start this one.  And now it is already passe. I am stunned. Please do read me. I think I am supposed to put it on Facebook. C'mon, folks.

As I sit here with the unexpected time to write this, my sister and brother in law are driving that beautiful drive east to Tucson on Hwy. 8.  They are probably in the area now where the great rockpiles loom around the highway, looking like some gigantic child's play creations.  They will go over two passes on their trip, descending into park-like or desert-like terrain in between. Then they will hit Yuma where they will have a lunch.  Then, they will be in desert for sure until they get home about three this afternoon. I think it's a lovely drive, in an air-conditioned luxury cocoon.  I have been on it on the train, el bos, and in the old days, many times driving without a/c.  In the summer that's bad, I remember, but now in February every day out here in the Southwest is like Paradise.  I am sorry they're gone, but I wish them a good trip home. YAZZYBEL

2 comments:

  1. keep writing --passe or not still nice to know what you up too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also Like pink color and you are right that this is girly color as well as this is my rooms colors also. cork tile flooring

    ReplyDelete