Sunday, February 27, 2011

Round and Round We Go

Good morning!

This morning at church there were several wheel-byes of concepts I first heard at St Paul's forty-odd years ago.  The Forum was to be about Mandalas, and next Sunday's forum about the making of a Mandala.  We are to make one.  I have been in on many make-it-yourself projects in that Great Hall, from Kites to Christmas Wreaths.  Well, it will be interesting--if it's not too cold up there. Today I had to leave early because it was just too cold up in that large drafty space!!  The lecture was very interesting, however, and I learned one New Fact that I had not known before: Mandalas are actually three-dimensional.  What you are looking at is a blueprint. WOW.  Something new.  So--If I am there to make it next week, perhaps I'll be building a three-D Mandala.  I had already begun to plan mine in my head--abstract butterfly motifs--but, if it is to be in three-D, that changes my concept and my approach.


The next concept that I heard about long ago was that of the Shadow. Your Shadow is the negative part of yourself that lies hidden, unacknowledged.  It darts out at unseemly times and makes a joke of you and your pretensions.  One of the Lenten lectures will deal with the Shadow.  Oh, dear.

People who live outside the San Diego area just do not understand how cold it is here.  Particularly in large unheated buildings.  It's stunning.  St Paul's is stunningly cold. Cold in the nave, cold in the porches, cold on the altar for all I know.  Cold cold cold in the Great Hall.  My sister and her husband were surprised at how cold they were in our little house even though we had the furnace roaring the whole time they were here.  Cold is the shadow side of San Diego, perhaps.  All that beauty, all that sunshine and sparkle. That's what people expect.  And then there's the cold. YAZZYBEL

No comments:

Post a Comment