Sunday, February 6, 2011

Dusting, here

Good morning!

Yes, I am still dusting. This will be short and sweet, as I'm very late to the post (LOL) and still need to get something done around here.

Today at church the Forum topic was Holy Communication.  It was amazing, the number of tweeters, texters, bloggers, e-mailers, IM'ers,  and so forth that were in the audience.  Today, the main message that came out was--Mindfulness. Pay attention to yourself. Take a deep breath before you thoughtlessly send off that (vituperative, critical, negative, nagging, irritating) communication. Also take a deep breath before you misinterpret what you receive.  All true. All true.  What more can be said? We'll see next week.

I also went through church in a fog, it seems, as I did not kneel when the Dove descends and enters the consecrated elements on the Communion Table.  That is the old fashioned way.  In the Catholic Church a bell would ring to snap you out of it and tell you to kneel down.  Nowadays, what you do in church is up for grabs. You may do as you please.  A former priest taught us not to kneel at that point (to wit:   Blessed is He who comes in the name of the Lord, Hosanna in the Highest.)

I used to argue about it with my son Gregory. "But he says that you'd just be kneeling to some people on an altar," said Gregory. Oh, I see--and the rest of the whole service? Off to the golf course we may as well go, to me, in that line of reasoning.
But, as it is, some kneel, some continue standing, and some are in the "Anglican Crouch," as John Mortimer describes a much used posture in the Anglican church.  That's when you are neither kneeling nor sitting, with a large part of your anatomy flung over the pew in front of  you, and  your behind comfortably remaining in its perch. Never say we aren't democratic. Every person  for k'self. 

K'self originated in my family and comes in handy when a gender bias is not to be established.

Anyway, I forgot to do it today-- consciously to kneel down at that point. I think we should kneel down as much as possible in the Episcopal Church, for two reasons: 1) to honor The Incarnation, and 2) not to be such pew-potatoes as we are getting to be.  We might as well be Methodists, or Congregationalists!  Let us ACTIVELY participate in the Mass as far as we are bodily able.

So today I was not mindful...that much unmindfulness is rare. I wonder what clouds were going across my mind as I was saying those words today!!!  What was I thinking about, or was I thinking at all??? Scary.  YAZZYBEL

No comments:

Post a Comment