Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Oh, My ! What a late breakfast!

Good--afternoon!! I was too busy this morning to write my blog.  I thought of you, all of you--but just couldn't steal that second or two to come over and tell you that I was thinking about you.

We have been playing cards.  Lots of cards.

When I was a child I hated cards. I hated the noise, the interaction, and competitiveness of cards.  Sometime along the way, say, in the last twenty years, I came to like card games. Not hard ones.  I'll never like bridge.  I have been on the hot seat too many times at the bridge table, and never measured up.  I did not like measuring up, or, rather, trying to.  Not my cup of tea.

But I do enjoy easy games.  Like my family's favorite game, Liverpool Rummy.  Liverpool is easy and we play an easy form.  Six hands, with nine-nine-eleven-eleven-and thirteen-thirteen cards dealt.  Two books (of three), two runs, two books and a run, two runs and a book, three books, three runs.  Those are the requirements for "going down."  Then you play out, and the number of points in your hand at the last are your score.  You're aiming for a total score of zero. Liverpool is easy, because you play alone and it's just you against the world. No pair of hating partner's eyes glaring at you across the table when you make your errors. You make your errors, you lose. Just you.  It's a relief!!

Today after our morning game, we went for a short ride to Trader Joe's, then we went to Tacos Mexicano up at Canyon Plaza. Boy, they were good. I had tacos de papa (potato), served with rice and beans, plus a good Mexican soda pop of tamarindo.  Yum, yum.  We'll go there again.  The others all had beef tacos. The tacos were crispy fried and just right.  And the rice and beans, excellent.

Then my sister went to my hairdresser and had her hair cut.  He did a wonderful job, I thought, and she was pleased.  Then I came home and slept for over an hour. Now while I was asleep, she has made meatballs to put with the Costco sauce she brought us, and will make the pasta. We'll have those with a big salad later on.  Tomorrow they'll go home and Theo and I will go back to being sedentary and quiet and non-competitive. No more games. Well, no more card games.  YAZZYBEL

No comments:

Post a Comment