Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Coughing and Hacking

Good morning!!

Yes, here am I, coughing and hacking at last.  I slept well, however, and I'll tell you all about it.  It's no wonder I caught it since I slept over the last 2 weeks with Theo coughing and hacking beside me.

Yesterday morning my throat/chest felt a little tickly, so I gave myself a dose of Q-Var. Do you know what Q-Var is? It's a steroid inhalation that is supposed to (over time and with consistent use) calm down our inflamed lungs.  I hate it. Everyone I know who has it around to use, hates it. But once in a while it seems that there's a condition in there that might profit from a little blast of soothing.  SORRY, I WAS WRONG; it irritated my lungs more. Dang.

I went through the day, energetically in the a.m., but then I took a nap after lunch and woke up feeling awful. I just knew that I was getting what I've got...staggered through the afternoon, ate an early supper of cheese toast and cocoa, and went to bed, down for the count, by six thirty.

I woke up this morning feeling much better.  In a minute I am going to tell you my little list of nostrums, one which will get you up the next day feeling much better. The main one, the one I forgot, was the most important.  Go to a sink, turn on the hot water full blast, and when it gets very hot, put your face down close and gulp lungfulls of steam.  For how long? For as long as you can stand it, until you get bored, or think you've had enough. I am going to do that as soon as I finish this posting.

I have not been taking my vitamins so at about four I took my Vit. C (500) and Multi B.  Then I had the supper mentioned above. When I went to bed I did the following:

1. Took about 1/2 of a bright-pink Benadryl pill.
2. Took a laxative. Phillips Magnesium pill.
3. Sucked on a Tums for the anti-acid properties.
4. Drank a bunch of water.
5. Took a breath of my regular asthma mist.

I woke up at about ten thirty suffering intensely from the heat coming on which it does too much of, blowing years' worth of old dust, mites, asphalt from the roof, and as much sand as a Sahara sandstorm, microscopically, into my lungs. I drank more water and thankx to the Benadryl went right back to sleep.  I slept long and deep, only rousing momentarily from time to time as my old husband milled about the bedroom in the dark.  "Shouldn't I go to the door to let them in?" he plaintively asked at one point. "Let WHO in?" said I...  "Those people at the door."

"DO NOT let anyone in. Go to sleep," said I. And he obeyed and we slept till morning, till the sound of the cat meowing plaintively in the cold garage compelled me to arise.  I arose, went out to get the paper, made my coffee, made our breakfast, and here I am at eight twenty three in the a.m., duties done. I could go back to bed but I think I will breathe the steam (belatedly), take a hot bath, get dressed, and see how the day proceeds.  My eyes are running as well as my nose, just a bit, so will look at my eye potions for a tip...P atricia should be here today but we talked on the phone last evening and she is sick too...we are laying low. Too bad; she'll miss a delicious Mexican rice sopa seca that is waiting in the refrigerator to be warmed up for lunch.  Everyone pray for me, please, that I do throw off this plague that everyone seems to be getting. LOVE< YAZZYBEL

No comments:

Post a Comment