Tuesday, January 10, 2012

More About Yesterday

Here I am in that photo I've sent you before.... Someday when I figure out how to do it (I never will) that will be my new photo at the top of the blog.

I am resending this today because I wanted to comment on that heavenly-colored drink I'm holding up at breakfast on Christmas morning. I try to make that drink every morning. I stole the idea from Anne-Louise Gittelman, my ideal on the subject of women's nutritional needs.  Mine is water, orange juice, cranberry juice, and a couple of good shakes each of ginger and cayenne pepper.
"It's good and good for you!"
It wakes you up and cleans out your head, especially as you get to the bottom of the glass, because the spices go to the bottom and really heat up that last swig.

Yesterday there were three more things that happened when I took Miranda to the airport, that I didnt have time to dwell on last evening. 

One, as we drove up, the sun was just coming up on our right, and I glanced to the left at the Pacific Ocean and there was the huge round full moon, setting.  Pale and ghostly and unreal, it hung there for long enough for Miranda to get a good look at it too. I've written to you before about the moving experience I once had in La Jolla with the sun setting in the west and turning around to see the huge full moon rising in the east.  It's awesome.  It's not really an uncommon experience--it must happen at least twelve times a year.  But we just don't look.  As Art Bell says, "Nobody looks at the sky."  True, almost nobody does.  Those who do, see wonderful things.

Two, when I let Miranda out at the airport, I got out to stand with her at the outdoor check-in guy's stand.  The guy had left his station momentatily, and there was a trifle of a delay. A lady on my right came up and started to get his attention when he came back, but realized that there was someone before her. "I'm just standing here saying goodbye to my granddaughter."  Misunderstanding what I'd said, the lady responded , "Yes, I know, I thought I saw someone standing there beside her too."  I took that as a good sign for a fortunate journey home.  Do you realize how often in commonplace life, someone thinks they saw someone standing with you? It doesn't happen every single day, but it does happen, and not too seldom  either.  Our guardian angels are with us.

Three, since Miranda was unable to check in at the curb for reasons I do not know, I told her I'd hang around in the vicinity for a time so that she could call me if there were a problem inside.  We hastily parted and then I had to wonder where I wanted to hang around. The sun was brilliantly full up by then, blinding my poor old eyes as I avoided it by driving the shady streets of Hillcrest. I thought of Hob Nob Hill, where I haven't eaten in many a year, so went there. I requested a seat at the counter as I love the counter. I ordered a luxurious breakfast of two poached eggs (I only eat the yolks, Dr Rickwa) with biscuit and gravy, and a nice orange juice and coffee. I drew a solitary breath for the first time in many many days, and kicked back. As I ate, the three women who waitress there ganged up around me and told me how beautiful my hair is, which they could see as I ate at the counter.  It was what I, I that forgotten inside woman, needed to hear, and as they oohed and raved about my hair,   I felt that I was not so old and granny-ish as I'd been fearing....of course I AM old and granny-ish. It's a privilege.  But it was nice to hear all that awe and praise.  YAZZYBEL

No comments:

Post a Comment