Thursday, January 26, 2012

What I am Wearing

Good morning to ye!

I have been reading (a little), listening to ( on an old LP), and singing Robbie Burns, as it is the time of his birthday.  He was a passionate man, father of many bairns.  His poetry is full of the joy and anguish of life.

The song on the old LP is a modern evocation of "O My Luv's Like a Red, Red Rose." It is a haunting, super-haunting version of Burns's old poem and melody. As if it were sung by a disembodied spirit, still just as much in love as ever...who'll "come again, my love," in an almost chilling promise to her lover...this is a song by Ernest Gold (Songs of Love and Parting) sung by his wife Marnie Nixon.

Marnie Nixon was (or is) one of the better singers of Hollywood. I believe she made her debut as the voice of Snow White oh so long ago.  And I believe it was she who sang for Audrey Hepburn in "My Fair Lady," the movie.  Marnie Nixon's voice is clear, pure, piercing.  The set of songs, "Songs of Love and Parting," contains several demanding beauties but none as lovely to me as the one about her love's being like a red red rose.

What am I wearing today? What I wear every morning upon arising in the dark, drawing on my old garments quietly so as not to awaken my husband.  On top, a curiously crocheted vest handmade by someone's auntie long ago that I bought at the TOPS...pink, gray, green in a faded pattern of an afghan...under that, a blue and white checked short cotton flannel model's coat...under that, a black plaid long nightie...under that, a short nightie that I actually sleep in. My new one is one I bought shopping with Miranda, that says VICTORIAS SECRET printed on it over and over, interspersed with tiny gold stars.  Why do I tell my readers these gruesome details?  Well, nothing else to talk about today, actually. YAZZYBEL

No comments:

Post a Comment