Thursday, June 21, 2012

Bacon and Ham

Good noon.

I eat comparatively little meat now, compared to my younger days.

Meat did certainly comprise the main part of any menu-planning when I was young.  One of the reasons was that meat was good then.  It was a better product, produced from less-compromised animals in better circumstances (if you just consider the quality of the edible results)....

If somebody had asked me my favorite meat, yesterday, I'd probably have said...fish. But even that is hard to find if you want quality.  So, not fish. Good beef..easier but still hard and one can't be sure it hasn't been fed things it oughtn't to have.

Chicken's just out of the question. There are too many chickens around for them to have any value at all, in real terms.  Kosher chickens are my only choice, but even they--well, who knows.

So that brings us around to ham and bacon, two no-no's if there ever were any.  Bacon rears its yummy head every morning on Theodore's breakfast plate, and often the preparer thereof cannot resist taking a crispy little nip from one of the slices, or even preparing a third slice to be eaten inside one slice of toast, folded.  It is pretty darned tasty however you eat it.

Ham? Who could resist that delicious, pink, sliceable, forkable, edible stuff? We really dont know what's in it,  but we want it anyway.  I have not prepared a ham in a very long time.  Once in a blue moon I make a "ham slice" but that is very far  from a real baked ham.  Even a water-ful modern injected ham is just delicious.  You need to slice off most of the fat and score the rest and put on mustard and brown sugar and a whole clove in each juncture,  and then bake it.  Sliced up and served on a plate with the right accompaniments (biscuits, for example, and the right greens) it makes a wonderful meal.  People just keep right on eating it, though. Slicing and eating it. And slicing and eating it.  It's almost irresistable, so that is why I don't try to resist it. I just don't have it around and I don't bake it and I never eat it.  And I almost, almost, I say--almost never think about it. YAZZYBEL

No comments:

Post a Comment