Friday, June 8, 2012

Eating Out

Good afternoon.

Today I lunched out with my weight-loss group.

Twice a year we repair to a restaurant and cut loose.  Or is it thrice? Often enough!

We went to The Galley, a pleasant enough place on San Diego Bay in Chula Vista.  I  have followed The Galley and watched it grow from a simple place that served the yachts and such there on the Marina, and the dwellers thereon.  It's always been pretty good,with a nice ambiance...now it has lots of space under tent roofs with space heaters, and some gallery type seating with glass windows overlooking the boats and the water, and most recently a very pleasant add-on room that included palms and a fireplace.

Some of the food is pretty good, and some of it is the standard fishery fish-and-chips-in-a-basket kind of food.  When I go to such a place I like to plan what I'm going to eat before I get there so that I won't eat the wrong thing like fish and chips with brownies a la mode with fudge sauce for dessert.

Today I thought I would have the shrimp cocktail, which is my meal of choice lots of time at lunch. But I had qualms because my sister had just told me on the web that the shrimp is so full of cholesterol (which I knew) and I wasn't sure it was the wisest choice.  And I wanted some apple pie for dessert. I got off the deep end when I not only ordered clam chowder but a bowl thereof accompanied by garlic bread (plenty of cholesterol in that, surely?) but the apple pie a la mode.  I got my friend to share in the pie with me, which she kindly did.

It's interesting that after we'd split the pie and the humongous ball of ice cream that came with it, and the whipped cream, we still had a bigger serving, each, than an old cafe slice o' apple pie would have been in the Good Old Days.  But we woofed it down.

I had already woofed the largish bowl of heavy creamy New England Clam Chowder and one of the pieces of garlic bread.  I brought the other one home to Theodore, who actually LIKES garlic bread.  And I ate my share of the pie and thanked my lucky stars for a friend like Margaret. We were the only ones who ate dessert.

Well, is it worth it? No, actually, but what are you gonna do? When you're out? And it's there? And you abandon your master plan and go berserk just because you're in a restaurant? That's what we all did; I was just the worst. YAZZYBEL

No comments:

Post a Comment