Thursday, June 7, 2012

Exquisitos!

Hi. Is it "exquisitos" or  "esquisitos?"

I think it looks right with the X though I never know how to pronounce X en espanol.

Anyway, I am feeling very hungry. Thursday is my hungriest day for some reason. I am always starving on Thursday.

We may go out to eat something, or we may stay home and I'll make exquisitos.  They are easy to make.  I got them from a cookbook called, Good Food From Mexico, which I had long ago.  It has lots of really good and rather authentic recipes. 

Exquisitos are just another kind of a taco with a sauce.  You take pork or beef cubes or bits or shreds, fry them up with onion and potato, and put them into fried tortillas.  Then you put them on a platter and cover them with a hot tomato sauce which is basically just a plain tomato sauce with added jalapenos or serranos added for hot-ness.

I have often made exquisitos using tortillas grilled over the flame, as I try to avoid extra grease now if I can.  They really are not quite as good, but they are okay and very satisfying.  Such a simple recipe, such a nice supper.  We may go eat out for supper and we won't find anything so simple nor so good but--I may find happiness with a torta de machaca.

Machacado is dried beef which has been torn apart, soaked, fried up with peppers, onions, tomatoes, and then had an egg added to scramble the whole thing up. In a really good French bun called a bolillo, it is very satisfying. I think I'll ask for one of those. 

Nowadays the restauranteurs one and all will pass off boiled shredded beef for machacado.  Well, that is what we will have to accept.  Real machacado is not as easy as boiling beef. We used to get it in cans from Mexico but now we don't go there so I don't know if it's still readily available.

We'll have the exquisitos over the weekend.  ENJOY! YAZZYBEL

No comments:

Post a Comment