Friday, June 8, 2012

"The Forgetting and Remembering of the Air"

Good morning.

Those words up there in quotes are the title of the last segment of a wonderful book by David Abram.  Its name is The Spell of the Sensuous.

I cannot pretend to be lucid enough to follow everything he says, much less understand it nor address it.  But I will say that it from it I have read the most beautiful passages, the most deeply exciting concepts that I've encountered in a very long time.

I think I have talked about this book before. I picked it up again the other day from where it has been lying about neglected, and fell into its enchantment again.

I beg everyone to get The Spell of the Sensuous and read it.  It is so full of wonderful observations from a man who has spent his life studying the wilderness, and other ethnic interpretations of this world we live in, other than our Western Tradition approach.  How beautiful life can be! The simplest things that we take for granted like the air we breathe, take on a new reality and importance. I started at the end of the book and have not yet arrived back at the first.  It makes me think of diagnoses like COPD and makes me ask what meaning those letters can have in a world where we are actually breathing the essence of God?
YAZZYBEL

No comments:

Post a Comment