Thursday, January 13, 2011

Do not make oven-scrambled eggs while using the computer

.....while using the computer in another room! I was searching for a small good Cuisinart coffee maker while the eggs were baking away. They went from  a little too creamy to SHOE LEATHER in all too short a time. We ate them anyway.

"Shoe leather" was my mother's family's term for anything tough and hard. Not just leather, mind you. Shoe leather, the toughest and hardest. I wra pped my bacon and hard egg in a (hard) tortilla which I had also left in the oven while searching the Internet.  I just finished it all, and it was delicious!!!

My mother's father's family were from Tennessee. They used the most flowing and descriptive language, which was never vulgar nor obscene.  Well, almost never vulgar nor obscene.  Mother did not want us to become nurses, unless we were willing to be "Miss Carrie Potts."  But that is about as far as it went. And the richness of the similes and the frequency with which her speech was salted with them, added a great deal to her biggest gift. She was a story-teller.  I have never known anyone more gifted with that quality.  If a married couple in Brownsville were said to have quarreled, my mother could recite the quarrel  to her listeners word by word as it was spoken, even though it might have taken place a mile away.  Though I was mostly silent in those days, I was an appreciative hearer of those recountings.

Mother knew grammar very well, and studied Latin in high school. She also studied French and taught me to sing, "Il etait une bergere, ron, ron, pati-patapon," while I was still very young.  Educations were very limited in her day  compared to the things kids study nowadays. She never cut up a frog, much less a kitten,as far as I know, and she surely would have commented upon it.  But her language was in her veins and in her bones, and her education expanded and secured her in it. What a gift!  When I view all the tongue-tied and nonverbal kids nowadays, struggling with "like" and even "uh," I feel that our school system has done its worst work in taking out oral reading, recitation, grammar study from Grades 1-12.

 No cooking today. I blush for the tough eggs, though Taterton ate them without complaint.  Kitchen still in disarray and parted out. Hasta maƱana, and I thank one of my nameless sisters for the how-to of making the tilde. YAZZYBEL

No comments:

Post a Comment